Thursday 29 March 2012

New rear Wheel! Dia Compe ENE Touring hub, Rigida Zac rim and IRD freewheel

I have now got a new rear wheel to replace the bent one from the accident. I had a wheel made by SJS cycles that I thought would be great for touring and carrying loads, but would also fit in with bikes age and other parts. I chose a Dia-compe ENE Ciclo touring hub for a screw on freewheel. The high flange hub fits in with the high flange Maillard hub on the front and the one I replaced. The rim is a Rigida Zac touring model with double eyelets. Both are 36 hole which I though would be good for carrying heavy loads. I also bought a 6 speed 14 - 34 freewheel too. There were some negative reviews on the Internet but it seems fine to me. It has a slight wobble but I don't think that actually affects the transmission. I had it built with DT stainless steel spokes for strength and easier cleaning and maintenance.

Well I still need to get the rear derailleur set up properly with the new freewheel but I think it should be a great addition to the bike. Looking forward to going out on a proper trip.

Rigida Zac touring rim
Double eyelets

Threads on the hub are well greased to try and make removing the freewheel in the future a little less difficult.

IRD 6 speed freewheel, 14 - 34


New wheel installed

No comments:

Post a Comment