Sunday 9 September 2012

JB Esclapez Torpedo Buoy (SMB)

I bought a JB Esclapez Torpedo Buoy SMB (Surface Marker Buoy) (http://www.esclapezdiving.com/en/article-fiche-89-Torpedo_buoy.html) for snorkelling. I wanted one for safety to alert boaters that I'm in the water. I don't want to be hit by a propeller. It is also very handy for attaching stuff to like my car keys, mesh bag etc. I put some stones in the mesh bag to weigh the buoy down which helps it stay upright and makes the flag as visible as possible. The SMB will take my weight so I do use it to rest on sometimes. 



The Buoy is well made and has two air bladders which is a nice feature. It has lots of attachment loops and the flag rotates with the wind. It comes with a long nylon line which is very thin and has frayed slightly but does the job well. I attach it to my weight belt at one side to help stop it getting wrapped round my fins. I tie it up with a figure of 8 and tie each end off with a double clove hitch which makes adjusting the length fairly easy.  This is a great SMB for the price but a small weight is needed to keep it upright. 

JB Esclapez Torpedo Buoy (SMB)

JB Esclapez Torpedo Buoy (SMB)

JB Esclapez Torpedo Buoy (SMB)

No comments:

Post a Comment